I've Moved!

Visit me at my new blog:
sugarandmeringue.squarespace.com

Monday, September 22, 2008

Coffee

What does coffee mean to you?

A delectable flavor and a welcome aroma that helps you "get going" on even the darkest morning?…a leisurely after-dinner cup that is the perfect accompanimment to good conversation?…the bracing beverage that gives real meaning to your mid-morning coffee break?
–from Fun with Coffee, copyright 1956 by the Pan-American Coffee Bureau

ahhhhh…coffee…my drug of choice. My parents didn't drink a lot of coffee, but every time my grandparents came to visit they'd brew up a pot. I remember loving the smell and wishing I was old enough to drink it. I remember the first time I tried coffee. I was probably about 10 and I was at a friends house. Her parents were gone and she decided to make a pot of coffee. I was totally amazed that she knew how to make coffee and I was a little afraid that we'd get in trouble! She dumped a ton of cream and sugar in each of our cups and it was sooooo good. I became a full blown addict when my daughters were babies and I relied on it to stay awake after nights of no sleep. My son and I still have "milk and coffee snuggle-ups". When he was two, we were visiting some friends and he got tired so he came to me and said "I need milk and coffee and rock-a-bye" . My friend was apalled until I explained the coffee was for me.

My teenage daughters both celebrated their birthdays last week. For the big family get-together, I made German Chocolate cupcakes and frosted half with German Chocolate Buttercream and the other half with Mocha Buttercream. Here's the recipe (from The Cake Doctor):

(Note: for the German Chocolate Buttercream) just omit the coffee granules from the following recipe)

1/4 cup milk
1 heaping tsp. instant coffee
8 T. (1 stick) butter
2 oz. (1/2 bar) German's sweet chocolate, grated
3 1/2 c. confectioners' sugar
1 T. water, if needed

1. Place the milk and instant coffee in a small glass measuring cup. Place in the microwave oven on high power until the milk is ot enough to dissolve the instant coffee, 30-40 seconds. Remove and stir until the coffee is dissolved. Set aside to cool.

2. Place the butter in a large mixing bowl and add the coffee and grated chocolate. Blend on low until the mixture has softened, 30 seconds. Stop the machine and add the confectioner's sugar. Blend with the mixer on low speed until the sugar is incorporated, 1 minute. Increase the speed ot medium and beat until light and fluffy, 1 minute more. Blend in up to 1 T. water is the frosting seems too stiff.

5 comments:

Teena Vallerine said...

Well, all I can say is - yo're a very bad influence. I mean - It's not the school holidays anymore! Who is going to eat all these recipes you give me?! Now, where's that coffee jar......xx

prettyshabby said...

oooh yum..it's lethal visiting you!!

I'm truly loving all those kitchen gadgets on your last post..that turquoise fridge is divine!

Amanda said...

Mmmmm I love coffee! I don't quite feel right during the day unless I get my coffee in the morning. It makes me feel cozy. :)

Anonymous said...

Sound so yummy Emily! Kristin

Dawn said...

I loved your coffee story. I admit it, I'm somewhat of a coffee addict myself. I blame my my habit on my husband because when we were dating, we were always "going out for coffee". Then when our youngest son was about two, I would give him a little teeny-tiny bit of coffee in those creamers (it was mostly cream) when we went out for coffee. He'd be sitting there saying: Cos-see, cos-see!! Um, he's 17 now and unfortunately also a coffee addict! By the way, have you ever tried Coffee Chicken? It's so yummy!