This tutorial was posted on my .mac account which I've allowed to expire so, I'm re-posting it here. Enjoy and please let me know if I need to clarify anything.
You will need…
• an old muffin pan
• cupcake liners
• plaster of paris
• 3-inch styrofoam balls
• hot glue
• paper clay
• sand paper
• acrylic paint in desired cake and frosting colors
• lightweight spackling for frosting (1 1/2 - 2 cups per color)
• disposable pastry bags
• # 1 M decorating tip
• cupcake toppers/decorations (optional)
- Put cupcake liners in pan. Mix plaster of paris following directions on box (I mixed 3 cups plaster with 1 1/2 cups water and had enough for 7 cupcakes). Fill lined cupcake pan with mixed plaster of paris. As plaster sets, place a toothpick in the middle.
- Cut 3" styrofoam ball in half
- Pierce the center of the ball with the toothpick you inserted in the base.
Take the ball off the toothpick and squirt hot glue in the hole created by the toothpick. Put the ball back on the toothpick/bottom.
- Cover the stryofoam with a thin & smooth coat of Paperclay. Allow the clay to dry thoroughly.
- Paint dark brown or desired color
- Put about 1 1/2 cups of spackling in a bowl and add acrylic paint to make it the desired color.
- Place spackling in a disposable pastry bag and pipe on cupcake as desired (I used a # 1M tip and spiraled the icing on starting on the outside and working my way in). WASH BOWL, SPOON, DECORATING TIP, ETC. IMMEDIATELY!!
- Adorn cupcake as desired and allow to dry